Nancy Culley Sellars: "I am sorry to say that I will not be at our 45th reunion. I think this is the first one I have ever missed. The Financial Women's Association, the organization of which I am the executive director, has an annual international trip to a place of business and investment interest and, for the first time in 25 years, it's scheduled simultaneously with our reunion. (Actually, in 1988, I left reunion early enough to board a plane for Spain later than our delegation--missing a bullfight but going directly to meet the King of Spain after dressing up in the airplane lavatory.) I am not sure what would have seemed stranger to me in 1963--that I'd be celebrating 45 years as a Bryn Mawr graduate or that I'd be meeting business and government officials in Moscow!!! Anyhow, I will miss being with you very much. Please give my best to everyone by proxy."
Gail Levy Perlman: "I'm sorry I'm so late in responding. I've kept all the announcements of the reunion on my desk, somehow believing that magically, the calendar conflict will right itself. But, unfortunately, I won't be able to get there. I have to be at a conference in Vancouver scheduled at the same time. But it looks you and the usual suspects are planning a great event, and I send greetings to all our classmates with hopes that my schedule will be calmer by the 50th. Thanks for doing all this work -- again and again."
Susan Faulkner Penn: "I'm sorry but I am not planning to come this year. I'd love to see everybody. But Wayne has a broken shoulder (he was hit by a snow boarder at Northstar in Feb.). That has caused us to cancel all of our travel plans. I'll be glad to hear the news from our class as it comes in!"
Carol Swift Clark: "It’s been so long since I’ve been in touch with anyone, it doesn’t really seem real . . . It’s highly unlikely I’ll find myself in Pennsylvania this spring; count me as a ‘No’. I’ve somehow or other gotten to be one of the women of a certain age responsible for organizing a family reunion in Ouray, Colorado, the town where my mother was born. 2008 is 100 years since my grandfather found the place as a young man. Mom checked out 5 years ago, but her youngest brother is in Ouray still serving as a town codger. My dad is there too, at almost 98. As a victim of personal future-planning failure, I’m still reporting to work on a daily basis, working for Watson Wyatt – at least a large reputable company with a defined benefit plan – and not just heading out in my Prius for the adventures that suit my fancy. I do often respond to emails, and would be glad to hear from one and all."
Joan[na] Chapin: "I would have signed up for the reunion, but, unfortunately, I will be in Seattle at a family memorial service. I've semi-moved to a house I renovated in Belmont Hills. It would be fun to get back in touch with classmates
who live locally. Best wishes for a splendid reunion."
Silvine Marbury Farnell, who couldn't attend, has a poetry website, complete with her photo."
Cynthia Gardiner "bitterly regret(s) that I cannot come …. See you at the 50th!!"
Ann Whitman Baehr: "I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to attend the reunion this year. I have plans to be on a Buddhist meditation retreat in Texas at the same time. I would like to know who plans to come at some time in the future. My news is that I'm retiring at the end of June, after 20 years at Berklee [as Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance]. Perhaps by the time of reunion I'll be able to email you with my future plans, which I'm working on now.
Margaret Cardwell Higonnet:
I won't be able to come to the reunion - I'll be teaching a compressed semester seminar at Santiago de Compostela - a beautiful site. Right now I'm wondering how I'll manage it, but it should be interesting, especially since the students prefer to speak Gallego." In response to a query about books, Margaret wrote: "This is not exactly a "book" - but I've been working on a typescript (in 4 copies, one at Bryn Mawr now!) about the year spent by Margaret Hall (Bryn Mawr 1896) in France working in a canteen and travelling with her camera to photograph battle sites (1918-1919). Hall was in her thirties, had organized suffrage parades in 1915, and went on to work for Armenian refugees. Her word-image account of travelling from her canteen to Verdun (to be "alone with the dead") is visually evocative and at times comic (she uses her wrist watch to find her way in the dark, only to have the captain of the ship call out sternly, "Lights out!"). And she died December 31, 1963, our year. The book won't be out for over a year, alas. I'll enjoy being with you all by imagining it and look forward to a report."
Maggi Blanchard Davidson writes: "I am in the middle of moving from Minnesota to New Mexico, selling one house and buying another, travelling (Tahiti with Bill and stepdad, niece's wedding in Virgin Gorda, Taos for other niece's commitment ceremony) and the occasional drama in El Paso. I really regretted cancelling the Reunion; there was serious drama in El Paso, enough to think I might have to cancel other plans. The clouds cleared, and we are now painting doorsand putting on any other lipstick the realtor seems to think this pig needs. If you have any influence over the economy, please improve the housing market!"
Several of you responded to our request for pictures of you, then and now. Here are the results.

Marjorie Hibbard Lauer writes "I'm attaching 2 photos for the blog: one was during Commencement weekend, I believe, at a garden party on the lawn behind Wyndham. Do you remember when I impersonated Miss McBride during a skit at the Library steps? I was so nervous I have completely forgotten what the occasion was. That M. Carey Thomas Library was my favorite spot on campus: I often studied in what I remember as the Rare Book Room, the large salon near the French stacks. I loved the long dark corridors, the Cloisters, the faculty offices, the Reading Room carrels--the entire atmosphere there was the embodiment of what I believed to be "The University," in the style of Oxford or Cambridge. The second photo was taken in August 2006, when my son and his family were here from Switzerland. It shows me, my son and his wife, her parents, who are from Zaragoza, Spain (this was the parents' first visit to the United States), and some friends. We're sitting in front of our cottage, beside one of the Arboretum's five permanent ponds."
Marjorie is Administrative Manager at the Graver Arboretum of Muhlenberg College, located at 1597 Bushkill Center Rd., Bath, PA 18014.
No comments:
Post a Comment